Included among the companies bidding for distribution rights to the James Bond franchise? Apple and Amazon, according to a report in The Hollywood Reporter that details how valuable this franchise, which is among the only brands in play in terms of rights, is to the potential winner. Amazon makes a certain amount of sense as […]
“Without sarcasm, science fiction is just science.” CG Blade “We set out to write something completely different born of a dream.” DC Belga, co-author of Heliotrope “S…
Source: Confessions from a trio of science fiction junkies. Let us introduce our Pseudo-self’s to you, those who share our passion… A journey through the ruptured, twisting, fantastical minds of three science fiction writers with a dream.
“Without sarcasm, science fiction is just science.” CG Blade
“We set out to write something completely different born of a dream.” DC Belga, co-author of Heliotrope
“Science fiction should be subtle. Like a robotic finger slowly pushing through your skull, poking around, waking you up.” Cad Gelb, co-author of Crimson
These quotes and many like them can be seen everywhere today. Writers and authors look to them for inspiration and guidance, checking these quotes to see if they are on the correct track. It inspires your writing. The three of us set out to write science fiction that had never been written before. Enjoying the works of Bradbury, Asimov, Nelson, Dick, Hubbard, and Heinlein for quite a few years can do something magical to your grey mass. It forces you to think differently. Watching the great science fiction movies of the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s can also have a deep impact on your thinking. Campy perhaps? Maybe. But, they still have a profound impact on the science fiction genre and mirror our society in general. Many of them with a subtle or not-so-subtle message ground into them. After many months of filling notepads and journals, we decided to do the following with our novels. We confess, it was tedious at times, grueling to say the least, and not at all easy. But nothing great ever is:
- Incorporate subtle hints throughout the novels that give you the ending or the ‘Pseudo-personality of a character.
- Each of the novels are infused with hidden and not-so-hidden music lyrics that coincide with the theme of the books. These are also prevalent at each novels webpage. The Main Perpetrator
- Use the first half of the first book Cobalt, as a ‘set-up’ for the rest of the series.
- Infuse the novels with commercials, Intermissions, and pop-culture references.
- As we wrote, we listed the ‘Media Easter Eggs’ contained within the novels and locked them away in a safe. Each novel has from thirty to fifty each.
- Each of the characters in the novels would be ‘real life’ people. Some of them are actually working their real life jobs in the novels. The characters on the cover art are our friends who gave us their faces to use. We dragged some of them kicking and screaming with the promise of Twinkies, Skittles, and Smarties.
- Pay homage to every science fiction writer, director, and movie that we as well as our readers love. Some of them are twisted anagrams throughout the novels.
- Research until it hurts. The historical research we did, and are currently doing, is mind-boggling. Every date, day, and time of an action or a historical action is down to the second. (This has taken three years to piece this together. We wanted this very accurate so that at the end of each novel, time itself is correct for the next novel.) Past , present, and of course, future history is used as conduits.
- Suspend disbelief. What is the best way to do this so that YOUR experience is the best it can be? Grinding, grueling, writing and editing. The novel Cobalt was rewritten thirteen times before we were satisfied. Even then as an author, you are never completely satisfied. We aim to please even if it means bloody fingertips.
- Give you a chance to witness the miracle of binary to alpha conversion. At the end of each novel we have incorporated hints and other oddities that can only be “seen” with a binary to text conversion program. Copy and paste the ones and zeroes from the novel into the converter and click “to text”. Enjoy! (As a robot programmer, I, CG Blade, wanted to do something fun in a novel that had never been done before) Here is the conversion link: Binary to Text Converter
- Sarcasm reigns supreme. “Make it horrible, make it dark, make it gory, but for God’s sake, tell a joke” – Joss Whedon. We went all out here. There is nothing like a smart-ass protagonist with a “chip” on her shoulder that is able to make you smile and giggle after she has shredded someone with a Gatling Gun.
- Use one, and ONLY one artist to illustrate every one of our covers. That talented artist is Katerina Ventova. She deserves a lot of credit for what she has done to propel this series but she will never take it. Humble and gracious, she loves what she does, and we love her for it. (There are hidden messages and twenty-seven names on each cover, front and back)
- Ensure that our editor can put up with our sarcastic writing, no-holds barred content, and has the technical capability to understand and love science fiction as much as we do. We found that one-in-a-million editor in Cindy Calloway, and we will never let her go. Cindy Calloway – Editor-At-Large
- The long arduous search for someone who captures our characters for the audio books is over. The talented voice over artist, actress, and comedic genius of Bradetta Doyle-Vines is unmatched. She understands these novels and IS the voice of Petra come to life. Crimson and Emerald are now being recorded as I type this. Cobalt ACX Audio Book
- For those poetic souls we have also incorporated science fiction poems into our novels from a wonderful poetess by the name of Cindy J. Smith. Check her out. She is amazing. You will find they fit right into these stories. Cindy J. Smith – Poetess-At-Large
- Finally and foremost, we wanted these series of novels to feel like and I am quoting from a reader here, “like you are reading a movie you are holding in your hands”. We set out to make sure these novels were interactive. Your five senses are attacked with imagery and characters that are unforgettable.
Our final confession: We wrote this series for you, and for us, the passionate science fiction junkie. We enjoy the little hints in books and movies. The subtle nods to great books, movies, and music. We cannot stop now. It is like an Easter Egg addiction that is ever-growing. We hope to continue our preservation of science fiction the only way we know how. Subtle, colorful, and very twisted. You do not have to ‘read into’ everything in these novels to enjoy them, but if you love the challenge, it is there. For the most part, please enjoy the ride itself. We loved giving it to you.
Robotic Love, CG Blade, DC Belga, Cad Gelb
Below you can find links to our novels. When you wander over to our website on a laptop or desktop computer, please do not hesitate to turn your volume up to eleven. Enjoy the show! (Press play on a smartphone)
Here are the current standings so far and the link to vote. Have a great day, CG.
Here is the link to vote! Rock and Roll HOF Voting
Robotic Love, CG
“It may not be a living, breathing robot, but UK researchers have created something pretty close. Robotics experts has developed a soft robot capable of consuming organic material for energy, effectively creating a machine which digests living things. The hope is that such self-sustaining robo-scavengers could be used to mop up contaminated water or algal blooms, which…
If you know anything about me, you know I love my music. Without it, I am nothing. I meld music into my novels because it is such a big part of our lives and it influences my writing. I had decided…